On top of everything else going on, flu season is here! Unfortunately, avoiding the flu virus is tricky. On top of getting a flu vaccine annually, health officials emphasize regular hand washing as it has proven to be the best way to stop the spread of the virus. The CDC also recommends these actions we can do everyday to prevent the spread of germs:
- If possible, avoid close contact with people that are ill
- Limit contact with others while sick
- If you experience any flu symptoms, do not return to work or school for 24 hours AFTER your fever has subsided
- When sneezing or coughing, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue. Dispose of the tissue after use.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and warm water. Alcohol-based hand rubs should be used if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes as germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect potentially contaminated surfaces and objects.
Indoor areas have multiple surfaces where viruses and germs can land. From sinks to telephones, children’s toys to doorknobs, these are all areas that need to cleaned and disinfected regularly. The germiest thing in your home is the remote control because the virus spreads through touch. Your remote control is touched by every person in your house at some point, especially when sick. Make sure you regularly disinfect your remote controls! You may still find yourself exposed to the flu virus outside of the home by co-workers or school-aged children. Here are additional steps you can take to protect your home from the virus taking up residence in your house.
Flu-Proofing Your Home
A 2013 study reported that the ability of airborne viruses that cause flu infections declined when humidity levels were at 43% or above. In low humidity environments 70-77% of viruses retained their infectious nature, and when humidity was increased to 43%+ that number dropped to only 14%. A 2009 study showed the same result: humidity limits the transmission of the influenza virus. Bacteria and viruses cannot travel well in moist, humid air. Controlling the humidity in your home could mean the difference between staying healthy this winter or getting the flu.
Even with all of the benefits of humidifiers, they can become a source of bacteria and mold if not properly maintained. Make sure you humidifier is working for you and not against you by:
- Using demineralized or distilled water. Tap water minerals build up in your humidifier and increase bacteria growth.
- Cleaning your humidifier once a week. The longer you wait the harder cleaning will be plus the increased risk of bacteria and mold build up.
- Changing the filters regularly! Not all humidifiers have filters, but if yours does, change it following the manufacturer’s directions. US Home Filter has a FULL selection of humidifier pads!
- Keep humidity at the ideal range between 40-50%. Not enough humidity can be just as big a problem as too much humidity. A hygrometer, available at home improvement and electronic stores, measure the humidity in your home.
Ultraviolet Air Cleansing
Adding UV light air purification is another way to protect your home from the flu virus. A UV light air purification system typically combines a UV lamp with a traditional filter. A standard HVAC or furnace filter’s main job is to trap dust and other particles from the air, not allowing them into the air you breathe. When a traditional air filter is combined with a UV lamp, the particulate matter is removed from returning into your indoor air AND the germs and bacteria are killed.
UV light air purification, however, is not a replacement for regular disinfection in the home or office. When used in conjunction with traditional cleaning methods, UV light air purification enhances any system in place that reduces the spread of diseases.
US Home Filter Carries HVAC Filters to Fit All Units
No matter which HVAC system you have, every unit needs a quality filter that fits properly to keep your indoor air quality clean and your heat and AC running at its maximum efficiency. US Home Filter can supply you with the best and most efficient HVAC filters available! Changing the filter is as important as changing the oil in your car and US Home Filter makes filters that fit all AC/HVAC units. From standard to custom air filters, to whole-house filters, grille filters and humidifier filters, we have all of your filter needs covered!
Order now from US Home Filter and receive FREE SHIPPING on your order!
Selecting the filters that are right for your home can be difficult and confusing at times. At US Home Filter we understand this, which is why we offer an experienced staff to help answer any questions you may have. For personal assistance with your air filter needs, please contact us now online or call us at (855) 237-1673 and we will do our very best to assist you in selecting the right filter for your individual needs. We want to earn your business and we guarantee your satisfaction! Take advantage of our quality products, vast selection, low prices, and enjoy FREE SHIPPING on every air filter order within the Contiguous USA.