Flu season is here and avoiding the flu virus can be tricky. In addition to getting a yearly flu vaccine, health officials urge everyone to wash their hands regularly as it may be the best way to stop the virus from spreading. The CDC also recommends the following everyday actions to prevent the spread of germs:
- Avoid close contact with sick people if possible
- While sick, limit contact with others
- If you have flu symptoms, do not go back to work or school for at least 24 hours AFTER your fever is gone
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
Your home (and office) has multiple surfaces that are popular areas for viruses and germs to land. Children’s toys, doorknobs, sinks and telephones are all areas to clean and disinfect regularly. The germiest thing in the home, though, is the remote control. The flu virus spreads though touching something a sick person has touched or sneezed on. The remote control is touched by everyone in your house at some point, especially when sick. Disinfect your remote controls! Unfortunately, you may still find yourself exposed to the flu virus be it by co-workers or school-aged children. The good news is that there are further steps you can take to protect your home from the virus taking root in your house.
Tips to Flu-Proof Your Home
Humidify Your Home
A 2013 study found that the ability of airborne viruses that cause flu infections was greatly reduced when humidity levels were increased to 43% or above. In fact, low humidity environments resulted in 70-77% of viruses retaining their infectious nature, and that number dropped to only 14% when the humidity was increased to 43% or more. A 2009 study resulted in the same conclusion: humidity limits the transmission of the influenza virus. The fact is bacteria and viruses are not able to travel well in moist air. Adding a humidifier to your home could be the difference between remaining healthy this winter or getting the flu.
However, even with all the humidifier benefits, they can become a source of bacteria and mold if they aren’t cleaned regularly. To make sure the humidifier is working for you and not against you, be sure to:
- Use demineralized or distilled water. Minerals found in tap water can build up in your humidifier and increase growth of bacteria.
- Clean once a week. The longer you wait between cleanings, the harder it will be and there’s a higher risk of mold and bacteria build up.
- Change filters regularly! Not all humidifiers have filters, but if yours does, change it following the manufacturer’s directions. US Home Filter has a FULL selection of humidifier pads!
- Keep humidity levels ideal. Too much humidity can be just as problematic as not enough humidity. You can measure the humidity in your home with a hygrometer, available at home improvement and electronic stores. The ideal humidity range for your home is between 40-50%.
Ultraviolet Air Cleansing
Another option to protect your home from the flu virus and other germs is to add a UV light air purification to your home. A UV light air purification system usually combines a traditional filter with a UV lamp. A traditional HVAC or furnace filter’s main purpose is to trap dust and other particles from the air, not allowing them back into the air you breathe. When you combine a traditional with a UV lamp, both the removal of particulate matter from the air and the killing of germs and bacteria is maximized.
UV light air purification is by no means a replacement for the regular disinfection in a home or office. However, when used in conjunction with traditional cleaning methods, UV light air purification enhances any system in place that reduces the spread of diseases.
Order now from US Home Filter and receive FREE SHIPPING on your order!
Selecting the filters that are just right for your home can be difficult and confusing at times. At US Home Filter we understand this, which is why we offer an experienced staff to help answer any questions you may have. For personal assistance with your air filter or humidifier pad needs, please contact us now online or call us at (855) 237-1673 and we will do our very best to assist you in selecting the right filter for your individual needs. We carry humidifier filters and pads for all major manufacturers (including Air King, American Standard, Aprilaire, GeneralAire and Honeywell). We want to earn your business and we guarantee your satisfaction! Take advantage of our quality products, vast selection, low prices, and enjoy FREE SHIPPING on every air filter order within the Contiguous USA.