In honor of Earth Day 2021, we thought it was appropriate to discuss ways we can reduce our carbon footprint. Carbon dioxide from greenhouse gas emissions is wrapping the earth with damaging heat, reducing the amount of oxygen available to us to breathe. Every human being on earth is covering the world with carbon footprints, but there are ways we can reduce greenhouse gas emissions from inside our homes. By making these small adjustments in our everyday life, we can help preserve the Earth for ourselves and future generations.
Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
Minimize Gas Usage
A large portion of gas usage is from the amount it takes to power a furnace/broiler. To make the biggest impact on reducing your carbon footprint, start with minor adjustments in how you use the largest appliances and systems in your home. For instance:
- Wash your laundry with cold water.
- Avoid using hot water when not necessary.
- Carpool to work to reduce gas emissions.
Learn About AC and Furnace Efficiency
Proper maintenance of your HVAC system is essential for keeping the air you breathe in your home clean, lowering energy costs and reducing your carbon footprint. Here is what you need to know:
- Lowering the thermostat by just two degrees for heating and two degrees higher for cooling reduces your energy consumption, and you probably won’t even notice the difference.
- According to energy.gov, you can save as much as ten percent (10%) a year on heating and cooling costs by simply turning your thermostat back 7°-10°F for 8 hours a day from its normal setting.
- Replace dirty air filters with new, clean ones regularly. This prevents costly damage to major equipment, lowers energy usage, and maintains high IAQ (indoor air quality).
- Have your HVAC system inspected at least once a year. Doing this ensures your system is running at its maximum performance and ensures energy efficiency.
Lower Electricity Usage
Something so simple but often overlooked:
- Unplug cords for appliances/devices that are not being used.
- Put appliances that aren’t used every day away.
- Only run the dishwasher when both racks are full of dirty dishes.
- Skip the dry cycle and opt to air dry by opening the dishwasher after the dishes are rinsed.
Invest in Smart Features to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
If you’re building or remodeling a home, the choices made in the process can make your home energy efficient:
- Opt for all energy-saving lightbulbs, such as CFL or LED. They last longer and use 85% less energy.
- Choose energy-efficient windows to control the amount of heat that can enter your home. This reduces the heating and cooling costs for inside your home.
- Use weather stripping and caulk to fill cracks and crevices around your home’s doors and windows.
- Block small entryways from outside cold and heat to keep your IAQ high and maintain a comfortable atmosphere.
US Home Filter Carries AC Filters to Fit All HVAC Units
No matter which HVAC system you have, every unit needs a quality filter that fits properly to keep your indoor air quality clean and your unit running at its maximum efficiency. US Home Filter can supply you with the best and most efficient HVAC filter available! Changing the filter in your furnace is as important as changing the oil in your car and US Home Filter makes filters that fit all AC/HVAC units. From standard to custom air filters, to whole-house filters, grille filters and humidifier filters, we have all of your filter needs covered!
Order now from US Home Filter and receive FREE SHIPPING on your order!
Selecting the filters that are right for your home can be difficult and confusing at times. At US Home Filter we understand this, which is why we offer an experienced staff to help answer any questions you may have. For personal assistance with your air filter needs, please contact us now online or call us at (855) 237-1673 and we will do our very best to assist you in selecting the right filter for your individual needs. We want to earn your business and we guarantee your satisfaction! Take advantage of our quality products, vast selection, low prices, and enjoy FREE SHIPPING on every air filter order within the Contiguous USA.