The 12x24x1 air filter is a standard sized air filter and can be found at most retail and hardware stores. By definition, “standard sized” means the air filter is cut nominally with a 1/2″ undercut following industry standards. It is quite easy to forget about your home’s air filters as they are usually hidden away behind closed doors. However, regular maintenance is an absolute must not only for comfort but also for HVAC system safety. Changing your 12x24x1 air filter on a regular basis:
- Increases indoor comfort
- Improves your home’s IAQ (Indoor Air Quality)
- Protects HVAC equipment from damage
- Decreases home energy bills
- Improves heating and cooling efficiency
How does your 12x24x1 filter work?
12x24x1 Air Filters Clean Indoor Air
The EPA reports that indoor air pollution is one of the top 5 of environmental health risks. A home’s indoor air quality (IAQ) decreases when airborne particulates/matter enter and circulate in the indoor air. Improper ventilation and increased temperature and humidity levels also worsen IAQ. On top of those factors, there are many other indoor air pollution sources that are abundant in our everyday lives. A few examples are scented candles, spray air fresheners, printers, cooking fumes, smoke from cigarettes/cigars and fires, as well as drapes/carpet/furniture.
Increasing Your Home’s IAQ
An HVAC systems main job is to bring outdoor air inside and circulate it throughout the home. It is during this circulation process that the outdoor air is forced to pass through the air filter. 12x24x1 air filters trap any dust, particles and debris that is in the outdoor air therefore allowing clean air to circulate through the home. The particulates that are trapped include:
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
- Human hair
- Pet dander
- Dust mites
- Vapors, odors, gasses
- Organic waste
- Carpet/fabric fibers
- Smoke and emissions
- Microbiological growth
Reducing these indoor air pollution sources protects your home’s IAQ. It also allows the 12x24x1 air filter to capture pollutants more efficiently and effectively that would otherwise enter the air you breathe. Air filters should be changed regularly (every 1-3 months according to manufacturer’s directions) to make sure your home always has the cleanest indoor air possible.
12x24x1 Air Filters Protect HVAC Systems
Not only do air filters protect indoor air quality, but they also protect HVAC equipment from damage. Regular HVAC maintenance includes changing your air filters on a regular basis. In doing so, you prevent dust and debris from building up on the motor and wires, mold growth and even permanent damage. Water pools around the evaporator coils/condensate lines and holes and/or leaks in the equipment can also cause equipment damage if left unfixed. A new 12x24x1 air filter will prevent damage to these pricy components:
- Flame sensors
- Blower motors
- Fire exchangers
How to Improve IAQ:
- Regular cleaning: Dust, sweep and vacuum on a regular basis. Make sure to vacuum floors and carpets AND blinds and vents as well.
- Reduce indoor pollution sources: Hardwood floors are the better option over carpet when it comes to reducing indoor air pollution. Keep your windows free of heavy curtains and instead choose open and natural light. Regularly check around your home for any leaks/holes and patch them up to prevent outdoor pollution from creeping into your home. In doing so, less stress will be put on your 12x24x1 air filter and improve your home’s IAQ.
- Pets: Pets are a source of indoor air pollution for multiple reasons. Pet hair and dander (dead skin cells from an animal) quickly becomes a problem if pets aren’t brushed/bathed regularly. Your fur baby’s paws track in dirt, debris, pollen, and dander from outside so wiping your pet’s paws after coming in the house will help. If possible, try to keep your pets off furniture and out of bedrooms. Also be sure to wash blankets and floors regularly to keep the dander at bay.
- Dust allergies: Dust and other particulates in the air can aggravate respiratory sensitivities in those that suffer from seasonal allergies and/or asthma. Clean indoor air is essential to help those that are sensitive stay comfortable and healthy.
US Home Filter Carries AC Filters to Fit All HVAC Units
No matter which HVAC system you have, every unit needs a quality filter that fits properly to keep your indoor air quality clean and your heat running at its maximum efficiency this Fall and Winter. US Home Filter can supply you with the best and most efficient HVAC filter available! Changing the filter is as important as changing the oil in your car and US Home Filter makes filters that fit all AC/HVAC units. From standard to custom air filters, to whole-house filters, grille filters and humidifier filters, we have all of your filter needs covered!
Order now from US Home Filter and receive FREE SHIPPING on your order!
Selecting the filters that are right for your home can be difficult and confusing at times. At US Home Filter we understand this, which is why we offer an experienced staff to help answer any questions you may have. For personal assistance with your air filter needs, please contact us now online or call us at (855) 237-1673 and we will do our very best to assist you in selecting the right filter for your individual needs. We want to earn your business and we guarantee your satisfaction! Take advantage of our quality products, vast selection, low prices, and enjoy FREE SHIPPING on every air filter order within the Contiguous USA.