The 20x20x1 air filter is one of the more popular air filter sizes and is available at most retail stores. Taking care of your home’s air filter is quite often overlooked but is one of the most important things you can do to keep your HVAC system working at max efficiency. Changing your 20x20x1 air filter:
- Increases overall comfort
- Improves indoor air quality (IAQ)
- Increases your HVAC equipment’s lifespan
- Decreases energy bills
- Increases efficiency of heating and cooling
How does your 20x20x1 filter work?
20x20x1 Air Filters Clean Indoor Air
The EPA reports that indoor air pollution is one of the top five environmental health risks. There are multiple sources that reduce indoor air quality such as allowing airborne particulates and matter to get indoors, poor ventilation, temperatures increases and unbalanced humidity levels. Sources throughout your home also increase indoor air pollution. Smoke and fumes from cooking, scented air fresheners and candles, cigar/cigarette smoke, carpet, furniture and even printers contribute to indoor air pollution.
Improving Your Home’s Indoor Air Quality
HVAC systems allow air that comes indoors to circulate through a home. During this circulation, forced air is passed through the air filter. The 20x20x1 filter traps particles and particulates in the air pushing clean air back into the home. These particulates include:
- VOCs (volatile organic compounds)
- Pet dander
- Dust mites
- Vapors, odors, gasses
- Organic waste
- Carpet and fabric fibers
- Smoke and emissions
- Microbiological growth
To protect your homes IAQ you need to reduce the sources that are increasing indoor air pollution. When these sources are reduced, the 20x20x1 air filter effectively captures the pollutants and returns clean air back into the home. Air filters need to be changed regularly to ensure the cleanest indoor air possible.
Air Filters Protect HVAC Systems from Damage
Air filters protect indoor air quality AND protect HVAC equipment from damage. HVAC maintenance includes replacing dirty air filters with clean ones. Particles that cause indoor air pollution can also cause damage to your AC system if dust and debris are allowed to build up on the motor and wires. Water that collects around the evaporator coils/condensate lines leads to mold growth. If there are holes and/or leaks within the equipment they allow debris to enter the system. Any of these scenarios can lead to expensive repair costs or even permanent damage to the whole HVAC system. Using a clean 20x20x1 air filter saves you from damage to these expensive components:
- Flame sensors
- Blower motors
- Fire exchangers
20x20x1 Air Filters Improve Energy Efficiency
The Department of Energy reports that replacing dirty filters with clean air filters reduces energy consumption up to 15%. With heating and cooling systems being responsible for nearly half your energy usage, that is a potential savings of 7.5% every month!
To break that down, if you regularly replace your air filters and your energy bill is $100/month, there could be an energy savings of ~$7.50 monthly. Energy bills in the $200+ range will see even more savings – up to $30/month.
Other ways to improve indoor air quality:
- Housekeeping: Sweep, dust and vacuum floors and carpets, as well as blinds and vents regularly. IAQ decreases when the circulating air from the AC blows particles around the house.
- Indoor air pollutant sources: Air quality is better in homes with hardwood floors and open windows than in homes with drapes and carpets. Any leaks and holes due to improper insulation will let unwanted pollution in if the home. Limit the sources of indoor air pollutants as much as possible so there is less stress on your 20x20x1 air filter and improve indoor air quality.
- Pets: Dander is an animal’s dead skin cells like human dandruff. Pets track in all kinds of debris, pollen and dander from outside as well. If at all possible, keep pets out of bedrooms and off furniture. Washing blankets and floors regularly to help keep the dander at minimum.
- Allergies: Seasonal allergies and/or asthma sufferers need indoor air clean to remain healthy and comfortable. Dust and other pollutants in the air irritates respiratory sensitivities.
US Home Filter Carries AC Filters to Fit All HVAC Units
No matter which HVAC system you have, every unit needs a quality filter that fits properly to keep your indoor air quality clean and your heat running at its maximum efficiency this Fall and Winter. US Home Filter can supply you with the best and most efficient HVAC filter available! Changing the filter is as important as changing the oil in your car and US Home Filter makes filters that fit all AC/HVAC units. From standard to custom air filters, to whole-house filters, grille filters and humidifier filters, we have all of your filter needs covered!
Order now from US Home Filter and receive FREE SHIPPING on your order!
Selecting the filters that are right for your home can be difficult and confusing at times. At US Home Filter we understand this, which is why we offer an experienced staff to help answer any questions you may have. For personal assistance with your air filter needs, please contact us now online or call us at (855) 237-1673 and we will do our very best to assist you in selecting the right filter for your individual needs. We want to earn your business and we guarantee your satisfaction! Take advantage of our quality products, vast selection, low prices, and enjoy FREE SHIPPING on every air filter order within the Contiguous USA.