The 16x20x1 air filter is one of the most common air filter sizes, and available at most retail locations. Homeowners don’t always take into account the importance of caring for their homes air filter, but doing so come with benefits, such as:
- Increased comfort
- Improved indoor air quality (IAQ)
- HVAC equipment lifespan
- Lower energy bills
- Efficient heating and cooling
How does your 16x20x1 filter work?
16x20x1 Air Filters Clean Your Indoor Air
According to the EPA, indoor air pollution is among the top five environmental health risks. There are many factors that cause indoor air quality to decline including multiple sources allowing airborne particulates and matter to enter the home, poor ventilation, increased temperatures and unbalanced humidity levels. On top of these, there are sources that attribute to indoor air pollution throughout your home which you may not even consider pollutants. Things such as air fresheners and candles, furniture, carpet, smoke, cooking and even printers.
How Can You Improve Your IAQ?
The good news is that your home’s HVAC system allows the air coming indoors to circulation throughout the home. During this cycle, the air is forced to pass through an air filter. The 16x20x1 filter traps airborne particles in the air, therefore passing cleaned air back out into your home. These pathogens include:
- VOCs (volatile organic compounds)
- Hair and pet dander
- Dust and dust mites
- Odors, vapors and gasses
- Organic waste
- Carpet and textile fibers
- Smoke and emissions
- Microbiological growth
The first step to protect your homes indoor air quality is to reduce the sources that contribute to indoor air pollution. Then, the 16x20x1 air filter is able to better capture the pollutants, returning clean air back into your home. This is also why it is so important to change your air filter regularly so you have the cleanest indoor air possible.
Air Filters Protect Your HVAC System from Damage
In addition to protecting indoor air quality, they also protect your HVAC equipment. Regular care and maintenance of your HVAC system includes changing dirty, clogged air filters out with a clean, fresh one. The same particles that pollute your air can also destroy your AC system. Dust and debris can build up on the motor and wires and water collection on the evaporator coils and condensate lines can cause mold growth. If there are any holes or leaks within the equipment, this also allows for more debris to enter the system. When this happens, you can be looking at expensive repair costs and even permanent damage to the entire system. Using a clean 16x20x1 air filter saves you from these pricey repairs:
- Flame sensors
- Blower motors
- Fire exchangers
16x20x1 Air Filters Help Improve Energy Efficiency
The Department of Energy reports that replacing dirty filters with clean air filters can reduce your energy consumption up to 15%. When you take that and combine it with the fact that your heating and cooling system is responsible for nearly half your energy usage, you could potential save 7.5% each month.
This means that if your energy bill is $100/month, you could save $7.50 on each monthly bill just by changing your air filter! Is your energy bill in the $200, $300, $400 range? You’re looking at even more savings – upwards of $30 every month. So, is it worth regularly maintaining your HVAC system with clean air filters? In this scenario, yes, but there are ways it saves you money as well.
In addition to following the manufacturers recommendation for how often to change your 16x20x1 air filter, there are other factors to take into consideration in regards to your homes indoor air quality:
- Housekeeping habits: Dust, vacuum and sweep regularly. Not only your floors and carpets, but also your blinds and vents as well. The moving air from your central air system blows particles around your house, making IAQ worse and more noticeable.
- Sources of indoor air pollutants: A home furnished with drapes and carpet contributes to decreased air quality than a home with hardwood floors and open windows. Insulation is also important as leaks and holes let unwanted pollution in. To improve indoor air quality and put less stress on your 16x20x1 air filter, limit the sources of indoor pollutants as much as possible.
- Pets: Pet dander is the animal’s dead skin cells, similar to human dandruff. Our furry friends also track in all kinds of debris, dander and pollen from outside. Try to keep your pets off the furniture and out of the bedrooms if at all possible. Wash blankets and floors regularly to keep the dander at bay.
- Allergies: People who have seasonal allergies and/or asthma need their indoor air clean to remain healthy and comfortable. Air filled with dust and other pollutants aggravates respiratory sensitives
US Home Filter Carries AC Filters to Fit All HVAC Units
No matter which HVAC system you have, every unit needs a quality filter that fits properly in order to keep your indoor air quality clean and your heat running at its maximum efficiency this Fall and Winter. US Home Filter can supply you with the best and most efficient HVAC filter available! Changing the filter is as important as changing the oil in your car and US Home Filter makes filters that fit all AC/HVAC units. From standard to custom air filters, to whole-house filters, grille filters and humidifier filters, we have all of your filter needs covered!
Order now from US Home Filter and receive FREE SHIPPING on your order!
Selecting the filters that are just right for your home can be difficult and confusing at times. At US Home Filter we understand this, which is why we offer an experienced staff to help answer any questions you may have. For personal assistance with your air filter needs, please contact us now online or call us at (855) 237-1673 and we will do our very best to assist you in selecting the right filter for your individual needs. We want to earn your business and we guarantee your satisfaction! Take advantage of our quality products, vast selection, low prices, and enjoy FREE SHIPPING on every air filter order within the Contiguous USA.